Black Garlic Chicken w/Black Garlic Mushroom Risotto
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins
- 1/3 c Olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. McCormick black garlic pepper seasoning (Can find it in grocery stores!)
- 1/2 c Shallot, divided in two
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 c Arborio rice (risotto rice)
- 1 pkg Button or Baby Bella mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 2 tbsp. Black garlic, minced and divided (equals out to be ~1 head of black garlic)
- 3 c Chicken stock
- 1/4 c Goat cheese (to finish off risotto, this stuff is strong, add & taste as you go)
- 1 c VioLife's Just Like Parmesan cheese (to finish off risotto)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- To marinate chicken, place olive oil, the juice of one lemon, and black garlic pepper seasoning into a storage sized zip bag and mix well to combine. Add in the chicken and mix/shake well to coat the chicken, marinating in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Wash shallots and mushrooms, and pre-measure out the rice in preparation to make the risotto!
- Place chicken (keeping reserved marinade) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the chicken to impart flavor! Sprinkle a shake or two of the black garlic seasoning over the top as well and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until chicken is no longer pink in the center of the thickest piece and its juices run clear).
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, add 3 cups of chicken stock to begin to warm up.
- While the chicken is roasting, chop up button mushrooms, shallots, and cloves of black garlic. Divide the shallots in half, and on high heat in a large sauté pan, cook ¼ cup shallots, a drizzle of olive oil, and 1 tbs of butter, continually stirring to make sure not to burn the shallots. After a couple of minutes, add the rice and continue stirring until lightly toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium and start adding stock to the rice a couple of ladles at a time, stirring continuously, waiting until almost all the liquid has been absorbed before adding more.
- When half the stock has been incorporated, add the mushrooms and all but ½ tbs of black garlic. Continue adding the stock into the risotto, and when almost all the stock has been absorbed, add the parm and goat cheese!
- To finish the risotto, in a separate pan, sauté the remaining black garlic and shallots in a little olive oil for 3-4 minutes until aromatic, then stir into the risotto. Finish with more parmesan on top and plate up with the chicken!
- If meal prepping this, add risotto and 2-3 chicken tenderloins to Tupperware containers and refrigerate and eat up to a week from cooking day.
- You can use either cut of chicken listed, I used the chicken tenderloins for this version. If using a bigger or thicker cut of chicken, add 5-10 minutes of time in the oven for proper cooking.