My most popular recipe on the blog, this Copycat Sonny’s BBQ cornbread recipe is a crowd favorite! Went to Sonny’s BBQ* years ago and fell in love with their cornbread, and this is my homemade spin on their classic taste. We also recipe-tested multiple gluten-free cornbread mixes over the holidays to see which ones would work best with our existing recipe. These substitutions are below for making this Gluten-free as well! Check out another blog here for more kid-friendly and easy-to-make recipes at home with your family.
- You can substitute almond milk or oat milk here if you have other allergens.
- For the Gluten-free recipe, use Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur’s 1-to-1 conversion flour for the flour step below. You may need upwards of 1/4 of extra flour if the batter is looking too wet (this is a tip for both the GF and regular versions).
- **For GF Cornbread mixes – We amended the ingredients on the GF side of this recipe based on what was needed for the most readily available box mixes we could test for us here in South Carolina. If you’re using a different box mix, use the recommended added ingredients they need to make the original recipe, then add the extra ingredients for our recipe, and follow the temperature they require on the box.
- Doubling the original recipe is great for parties, it serves twice the amount of people and comes out amazing in a cast-iron skillet too! My pictures above show me making a double batch of the original, here are those quantities:
- 2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Soy milk (unsweetened original)
- 2 (8 oz.) cans of Creamed Corn
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 heaping tbsp. Flour
- The instructions below remain the same. You may need to bake the doubled batch 10-15 mins longer depending on the pan or oven you use. We have not attempted to double the GF version yet, however, if you’d like us to add those instructions as well, let us know in the comments below!
*Please note: My interpretation of this recipe or the opinions on this recipe is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or the thoughts of Sonny’s BBQ Restaurant or its affiliates.