This week, I made a recipe inspired by Pinterest, one posted by a blogger in 2015 named Vodka and Biscuits I have on my “Fantastically Foodie” board (Shameless plug, I know, here’s the link: https://www.pinterest.com/mas7472/fantastically-foodie/).
I was in the mood to use my cast iron skillet, and I like to try and use what’s already in my pantry when I can — this week, that item happened to be canned pumpkin! It’s been so dull and dreay outside I wanted a warm, feel good dish for meal prep this week.
Key takeaways from this meal prep recipe:
- You can absolutely make pumpkin into a savory sauce- adding in more fall spices mixed with a little heat from the red pepper flakes or chili powder helps to balance the natural sweetness of the pumpkin
- You can sub out multiple things in this recipe to better suit what you have on hand:
- Vegetable broth for Chicken Broth
- Sage sausage for Italian sausage
- Olive oil for Canola oil
- Red pepper flakes for Paprika or Chili powder
- Cast iron skillet for Saute pan & Oven safe baking dish
- Depending on the size of the container you use, I got about 7-8 single serve tupperware containers out of this for meal prep.
See the recipe for this here and let me know what you think! Have you ever cooked with a cast iron skillet before? Do you like using one over a saute pan or vice versa? Shout out in the comments below 🙂