Black Garlic Chicken with Black Garlic Risotto
A byproduct of our experiments with Black Garlic, we loved creating this Black Garlic Chicken with Black Garlic Risotto recipe. Check out the blog here to read about how we first discovered black garlic, find more recipes using black garlic, and where we were able to find it locally here in Greenville, SC.
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins
- 1/3 c Olive oil
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. McCormick black garlic pepper seasoning (Can find it in grocery stores!)
- 1/2 c Shallot, divided in two
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter (we use Country Crock plant based butter sticks)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 c Arborio rice (risotto rice)
- 1 pkg Button or Baby Bella mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 2 tbsp. Black garlic, minced and divided (equals out to be ~1 head of black garlic)
- 3 c Chicken stock
- 1/4 c Goat cheese (to finish off risotto, this stuff is strong, add & taste as you go)
- 1 c VioLife's Just Like Parmesan cheese (to finish off risotto)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- To marinate chicken, place olive oil, the juice of one lemon, and black garlic pepper seasoning into a storage sized zip bag and mix well to combine. Add in the chicken and mix/shake well to coat the chicken, marinating in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Wash shallots and mushrooms, and pre-measure out the rice in preparation to make the risotto!
- Place chicken (keeping reserved marinade) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the chicken to impart flavor! Sprinkle a shake or two of the black garlic seasoning over the top as well and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until chicken is no longer pink in the center of the thickest piece and its juices run clear).
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, add 3 cups of chicken stock to begin to warm up.
- While the chicken is roasting, chop up button mushrooms, shallots, and cloves of black garlic. Divide the shallots in half, and on high heat in a large sauté pan, cook ¼ cup shallots, a drizzle of olive oil, and 1 tbs of butter, continually stirring to make sure not to burn the shallots. After a couple of minutes, add the rice and continue stirring until lightly toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium and start adding stock to the rice a couple of ladles at a time, stirring continuously, waiting until almost all the liquid has been absorbed before adding more.
- When half the stock has been incorporated, add the mushrooms and all but ½ tbs of black garlic. Continue adding the stock into the risotto, and when almost all the stock has been absorbed, add the parm and goat cheese!
- To finish the risotto, in a separate pan, sauté the remaining black garlic and shallots in a little olive oil for 3-4 minutes until aromatic, then stir into the risotto. Finish with more parmesan on top and plate up with the chicken!
- If meal prepping this, add risotto and 2-3 chicken tenderloins to Tupperware containers and refrigerate and eat up to a week from cooking day.
- You can use either cut of chicken listed, I used the chicken tenderloins for this version. If using a bigger or thicker cut of chicken, add 5-10 minutes of time in the oven for proper cooking.