Easy No Crust Apple Pie
This recipe for Easy No Crust Apple Pie was passed down to me from my grandpa on my mom’s side (we called him Papa).
It’s super easy to make with kids, requires less than 11 ingredients, and is a great dessert to make to get rid of all the leftover fruit you have in your fridge and on the counter!
Depending on the vessel you bake it in will depend on whether this turns out more “pie”-like or “cake”-like, based on how tall the “crust” is given space to rise. As you can see by my pictures above, we used a shorter, stouter baking dish, so it turned out more “cake”-like this time. However, if you were to make this in a traditional pie tin or glass bowl, you would get more of a shallow “crust” with this recipe instead.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 6 people
- Yield: 6-10 slices
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch, Desserts & Baking
- 1 tsp. Turbinado Sugar (for topping)
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon (for topping)
- 2 c Apples, peeled and diced
- 1 c Pears, peeled and diced
- 1 c Blackberries, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 c Butter, melted (we use Country Crock's plant based butter sticks)
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1 c Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Start by mixing together the first two ingredients and set them aside in a small bowl, these will be used to sprinkle over the top of the pie.
- Next, time for some prepping! Wash, peel, and chop all your fruit and ginger (finely chop if you want a more jammy end result, coarsely chop if you want a more rustic pie), put into a bowl, and mix together to combine.
- Place your fruit into a greased oven-safe baking dish. Use a pie dish if you want a more shallow "crust", or a deeper baking dish if you want a thicker, "cake"-like crust.
- Mix butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl or stand mixer. Mix into a batter and pour over the apple mixture.
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon we set aside earlier over the pie.
- Bake at 350*F for 40-45 minutes or until crust is a golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the "crust" comes out cleanly with no crumbs. You may need to add up to 5-10 minutes onto the baking time depending on your oven or how deep of a baking dish you used.