Copycat Sonny’s BBQ Cornbread
My most popular recipe on the blog, this one is a crowd favorite! Went to Sonny’s BBQ* years ago and fell in love with their cornbread, this is my homemade spin on their classic taste. *Please note: My interpretation of this recipe is in no way sponsored by Sonny’s BBQ.
- 1 pkg Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 c Almondmilk (regular milk works great too!)
- 8 oz Can of Creamed Corn (1 can)
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Flour (heaping tbsp., have it overflow a bit, be generous)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease a square 8x8' or 9x9' metal or glass pan (for a double recipe it's a 13x9" metal or glass pan).
- Place muffin mix in bowl and stir in egg and milk, adding creamed corn, sugar, and flour next.
- Once all ingredients are combined, making sure there aren’t any dry bits left in the mix, let the batter rest for 2-3 mins.
- Cook for approx. 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle and the edges and top are golden brown. If it needs more time, return to the oven and check in 3-5 minute increments.
- This recipe will keep for about a week and a half in a Ziploc bag or airtight container in the fridge. Really great re-warmed and served with butter and jam, as a side with chili, and of course, with BBQ!
- Doubling the recipe is great for parties, it serves twice the amount of people and comes out amazing in a cast iron skillet too! My pictures above show me making a double batch, here are those quantities:
- - 2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- - 2 Eggs
- - 2/3 cup Almondmilk (regular milk works great too!)
- - 2 (8 oz.) cans of Creamed Corn
- - 1/2 cup Sugar
- - 2 heaping tbsp. Flour
- - The instructions above remain the same, you may just need to bake the doubled batch 10-15 mins longer depending on the pan or oven you use.