Copycat Sonny’s BBQ Cornbread
My most popular recipe on the blog, this one is a crowd favorite! Went to Sonny’s BBQ* years ago and fell in love with their cornbread, this is my homemade spin on their classic taste.
We have also recipe-tested multiple gluten-free cornbread mixes over the holidays to see which ones would work best with our existing recipe, and have added those substitutions below to recommend when making this Gluten-free as well!
*Please note: My interpretation of this recipe is in no way sponsored by Sonny’s BBQ.
Original Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 pkg Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 c Almondmilk (regular milk works great too!)
- 14 oz King Arthur Gluten Free Cornbread Mix (1 package)*
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tbsp. Melted Butter (we love Country Crock's Plant based stick butter!)
- 1 1/4 c Almondmilk (regular milk works great too!)
Ingredients to Add to Both Versions:
- 8 oz Can of Creamed Corn (1 can)
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Flour (heaping tbsp., have it overflow a bit, be generous) (for GF, use Bob's Red Mill or King Arthur's 1-to-1 conversion flour)
- Preheat oven to 350*F (or 425* for GF mix).
- Grease a square 8x8' or 9x9' metal or glass pan (for a double recipe it's a 13x9" metal or glass pan). Our preference, the more we've made this recipe, is to make this in a cast-iron skillet though, as the cornbread stays super moist in the middle and gets those great crispy edges on the outside!
- Place cornbread mix in a bowl and stir in egg and milk (and butter for GF version), adding creamed corn, sugar, and flour next.
- Once all ingredients are combined, making sure there aren’t any dry bits left in the mix, then let the batter rest for 2-3 mins.
- Cook for approx. 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle and the edges and top are golden brown. If it needs more time, return to the oven and check in 3-5 minute increments.
- This recipe will keep for about a week and a half in a Ziploc bag or airtight container in the fridge. Really great re-warmed and served with butter and jam, as a side with chili, and of course, with BBQ!
- *For GF Cornbread mixes - We amended the ingredients on the GF side of this recipe based on what was needed for the most readily available box mixes we could test for us here in South Carolina. If you're using a different box mix, use the recommended added ingredients they need to make the original recipe, then add the extra ingredients for our recipe, and follow the temperature they require on the box.
- Doubling the original recipe is great for parties, it serves twice the amount of people and comes out amazing in a cast-iron skillet too! My pictures above show me making a double batch of the original, here are those quantities:
- - 2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- - 2 Eggs
- - 2/3 cup Almondmilk (regular milk works great too!)
- - 2 (8 oz.) cans of Creamed Corn
- - 1/2 cup Sugar
- - 2 heaping tbsp. Flour
- - The instructions above remain the same, you may just need to bake the doubled batch 10-15 mins longer depending on the pan or oven you use. We have not attempted to double the GF version yet, however, if you'd like us to add those instructions as well, let us know in the comments below!