Non-Dairy Spinach Artichoke Dip
This is my non-dairy take on the classic Spinach artichoke dip! This is a massive hit at parties, and my best friend asks me to make this for him for his birthday every year. I’ve done quite a bit of testing for this recipe to get just the right combination of flavors. This version has just the right mix of vegan cheeses, goat cheeses, and sheep’s cheeses to most closely mimic the original flavor of the spinach artichoke dip I grew up eating.
- For the goat’s cheddar, I used this version (an example of the package is here, you can usually find it at Whole Foods, Publix, Ingles, etc.).
- The mozzarella and manchego cheese comes in blocks that need to be grated and aren’t found in shredded form. If you can’t find manchego or can’t use sheep’s milk, sub out with VioLife’s Just Like Parmesan block cheese in the same measured amount.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 35m
- Total Time: 50m
- Serves: 4 people
- Yield: 2-4 cups
- Category: Appetizers, Dips, & Spreads
- 3 Cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Olive oil
- 8 oz Goat cheese log, softened (1 cup)
- 2 oz LaClare Farm goat cheddar cheese block, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz Manchego cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz Lisanatti Foods Almond-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 c Almond-milk yogurt, unsweetened and unflavored (one package)
- 14 oz Artichoke hearts (one can), drained
- 1 c Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed red pepper
- Start by preheating the oven to 350*F. Spray an oven safe baking dish with Pam (or other non-stick spray) to prevent the dip from sticking during baking.
- In a small saute pan, coat the bottom with about 1 tsp. of olive oil and grate the three peeled cloves of garlic into the pan using a micro-plane grater (or the smallest holes on a box grater). Saute on low heat for 2-5 mins, or until garlic is fragrant and begins to turn a more golden color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, zap 8 oz (1 cup) of goats cheese in 30 second intervals until softened (no more than 1-2 mins.).
- Drain the liquid from the artichoke hearts and rinse to remove some of the brine. Place in a food processor and pulse 4-5 times, chopping into small pieces.
- Wash the spinach and finely chop into pieces or ribbons.
- In a medium bowl, stir together goat cheese, manchego, goats cheddar, mozzarella, yogurt, artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, and spices above until thoroughly combined.
- Place dip into baking dish and cook in oven for 35 mins, or until a knife inserted into the center of the dip is hot to the touch.
- Serve with crackers, pita triangles, tortilla chips, you name it! This will keep in the fridge for 2-5 days (but good luck having it last that long).