Almond Peach Cobbler
- 6 medium-ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar, divided in half
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 handful slivered almonds, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease the inside of a 3.5-qt. baking dish with butter and set aside.
- To remove the skins, we first need to blanch the peaches. Place 2-3 in a small pot of boiling water for 10-20 seconds or until the skin softens/splits. Remove with a slotted spoon. Immediately place in an ice water bath to cool the peaches and stop the cooking process.
- Use a paring knife to peel the skin, which should easily peel off. If stubborn areas of skin won’t peel off, just return fruit to the boiling water for a few more seconds.
- Slice or dice peaches away from the pits and remove any remaining hard center bits. Arrange the sliced peaches in the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar evenly over the peaches.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and 1/2 of the brown sugar. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat to mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the milk and mix just until the batter comes together. Spoon/dollop the batter over the peaches, spread it around to cover, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Bake the cobbler for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Garnish with slivered almonds (optional, but adds great texture and crunch to the softness of the cake and peaches!).
- Enjoy with ice cream, whipped cream, or powdered sugar on top!