Freezer-Prep Breakfast Burritos
For burrito rolling instructions, see picture #6 and these steps: Top Left- Step 1 (curl over & tuck); Top Right- Step 2 (curl in sides & tuck); Bottom Left- Step 3 (continue curling in sides & roll forward); Bottom Right- Step 4 (finish rolling w/sealed burrito!). Burrito rolling picture courtesy of: https://natashaskitchen.com/breakfast-burrito-recipe/
- 10 Extra large eggs
- 1 c Ground breakfast sausage (6-8 oz.)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 5 oz Package of Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 Medium onion
- 6 Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 1/4 c Olive oil
- 2 Bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 Block of Gouda goat cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Garlic pepper grinder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Dried parsley
- 11 Medium tortillas (I used whole wheat; you can use any variety!)
Start by cooking your filling:
- In a medium sauté pan, drizzle 2-3 tbs. olive oil and cook your sausage on medium-high heat for about 8-10 mins or until there is no pink left anywhere and sausages begin to caramelize.
- Set sausages aside in a bowl off the stove, leaving remaining oil in the pan, and covering sausages with foil to keep warm.
- Next, wash your veggies. Start by finely chopping the onions and garlic and placing in the oil left in the pan over medium heat to become fragrant, sauteing for 2-4 mins. Finely dice the peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms and add to the sauté pan. Add a little more olive oil to the pan as needed. Season to taste, starting with about ½ the spices above. Continue to cook for another 7-10 mins or until all veggies are soft and pretty much cooked through.
- Leave veggies in pan, turn heat to medium-low to hold it warm until we make the egg mixture.
- Combine the 10 eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley, paprika, and grated cheese, and whisk to combine. Put the sausages back into pan with the veggies, and pour egg mixture directly into pan, stirring constantly for 3-5 mins or until eggs become fluffy and there are no more runny liquids.
- Take the egg mixture off the heat and place on a potholder or on a heat-safe kitchen surface.
Time to assemble!
- Take a paper plate and tear off 4-inch-wide strips of parchment paper, sandwiching that between the tortilla to begin filling (so it should be plate, parchment, tortilla, and filling, in that order).
- Place 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons full of filling into the middle of the tortilla, taking the end of the tortilla closest to you and curling it around the egg filling and tucking it underneath.
- Tuck the left and right-side pieces in towards the middle as you finish rolling.
- It might take a couple tries, but if you succeed, the burrito should be sealed on all sides with nothing poking out! **See picture and instructions above for visual of rolling steps!**
- Then take the parchment paper, and like the tortilla, start by taking the side closest to you and rolling and tucking it under the burrito until the one side is completely rolled, taking the side/long end pieces and twisting and tucking like a hard candy over the top of the burrito.
- Place the burrito curled parchment side down so they don’t unwrap, in either a freezer bag or freezer-safe Tupperware container. They will stay good in the freezer up to a month!
- To reheat, poke a few holes in the burrito with a fork to steam, covering with a damp paper towel on a plate or paper plate. Place in the microwave for 30 seconds and then flip over the burrito, repeating heating and flipping process, cooking no more than 2.5-3 mins (depending on microwave size and strength). Burrito is warmed through when you can poke a fork or knife into the center and it comes out warm/hot.